The Derby High School’s central location makes it ideally situated for travel from any part of Bury, Radcliffe, Little Lever and even further afield.
Numerous bus routes pass right in front of the school gates or 200 yards away on Manchester/Bury Road.
There are lots of buses which travel to the Bury Interchange. Many of our pupils walk to and from the Interchange daily (approx. 12 minutes).
If you need any more information regarding transport or claiming free travel please contact the School Office on 0161 764 1819.
Ticket costs and benefits
From September 2020, fares on TfGM-funded dedicated school buses (including Yellow School Buses) are:
For children aged 11-16 with igo cards, and primary schoolchildren:
- Single ticket £1.40.
- Return ticket £2.40*.
- TfGM schools weekly ticket £7.60* – this is only valid on schooldays and on dedicated school buses. It’s available to purchase on the bus or at a TfGM Travelshop. It can only be loaded onto an igo card.
- Carnet ticket (10 single trips) £10* – this is only valid on schooldays and on dedicated school buses. It’s available to buy on the bus or at a TfGM Travelshop. It can only be loaded onto an igo card and will be valid for 28 days from the date of purchase.
Children aged 11-16 who don’t have an igo card will be charged a single fare of £1.80 and will be unable to buy return or weekly tickets.
Students with a Scholar’s permit can also buy the £1.40 single ticket (not returns or school weekly tickets).
- TfGM return, weekly and carnet tickets are valid on the majority of dedicated school buses, with some exceptions
An IGO card costs £10 and lasts until 31st August after your 16th birthday. The card allows 11-16 year olds to travel using child tickets on buses and trams in Greater Manchester
Important information for Bus Travel
- You must wear a face covering
- Keep a safe distance
- Clean your hands regularly
- Use contactless or exact change
Transport To And From Radcliffe
799 Morning Bus
Ainsworth Arms/Higher Ainsworth Road (7:50) , Turks Road, Countess Lane, Kilburn Road, Westminster Avenue, Coronation Road, Turks Road, Ainsworth Road, Water Street, Spring Lane, Bury Road, Radcliffe Road to The Derby High School (8:25)
799 Afternoon Bus
Radcliffe Road opposite The Derby High School (15:41), Bury Road, Eton Hill Road, Cross Lane, Spring Lane, Water Street, Ainsworth Road, Turks Road, Coronation Road, Westminster Avenue, Kilburn Road, Countess Lane, Turks Road, Higher Ainsworth Road/Ainsworth Arms (16:01)
Transport To And From Walmersley And Bury
483 Morning Bus (travels to Bury interchange)
Students would need to change at Bury interchange for high frequency services 135 and 524 to get to school
487 Afternoon Bus
The Derby High School (15:55), Radcliffe Road, Manchester Road, Knowsley Street, Haymarket Street to Bury Interchange (16:03), Angouleme Way, Rochdale Road, The Rock, Walmersley Road, Walmersley Old Road to Nangreaves Bus Turning Area (16:19)
New for September 2020
Duplicate bus journeys exclusively for school and college students will run behind the original scheduled 472 and 524 service at set times, with the usual route number starting in ‘S’ to show they are school services.